Monday, July 16, 2012

Waiting for baby

Since this blog is supposed to be about my experiences as a father and I am not quite there yet, I figured I would share a quick story with you. Who knows, I might learn something from it.

If you couldn't tell from my last post, I am very excited about my daughter coming into this world. A couple of weeks ago, Mandy and I were asking each other, what I assume is a common question for soon-to-be parents, "When do you think the baby is going to be born?" So I playfully suggested that my wife would go into labor sometime Thursday night and then we'd be celebrating Adrianna's birth the next day. 

Now at the time, I said that semi-jokingly. You know, just going along with the current conversation and what the heck, it would be cool to her have her sooner. Well, I now realize that even though it was in jest, that little thought planted itself right in my head. I didn't realize it right away, but slowly it grew and then all of a sudden I subconsciously, maybe a little secretly, was sure my daughter was going to arrive during that time. So when that day came, I was incredibly delighted, I even had a slight pep in my step that whole day at work. Every time my cellphone went off, it didn't ring more then once. Well the work day started and ended, and nothing happened. Now at this point, I wasn't even slightly disappointed since I "knew" the process wasn't even go to start till that night. When my in-laws suggested Mexican for dinner, in the back of my mind I was thinking "spicy food, might equal contractions, which might mean BABY!", I'm sold. At dinner, I "accidentally" added an extra slasp or two of spicy salsa into her queso dip, you know to stoke the fire a little bit. After dinner, we decided to head over to the in-laws for awhile and then home.

During that whole time, I didn't even get a Braxton Hicks contraction out of her! All that Mexican food must have put that little thing into a food coma. I don't think she even kicked the rest of the night. I am sure Mandy didn't mind not going into labor. She loves a chance to point out I was wrong about something. With how often i'm right, who wouldn't? ;) Alas, I had to go to bed that night only kissing my wife's forehead and her belly. Remembering that soon enough I would be holding that little girl, but its going to come on her terms. I think that I just learned another one of those valuable life lessons during this whole thing:

Kids don't care what you want, you give that up as soon as you decide to start a family. 

2 comments:

  1. Love your stories and your perspective -- right on! You guys are going to be AMAZING parents! Love you both.

    Grandma Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally disappointed, but I'm thinking, maybe she's waiting for 'Gramma' to get there. Anybody think an August birthday would be bad? She'll probably wait until I'm on the plane, then I'll end up waiting at the airport for hours while she's born. Oh well, won't be the last thing I do for her.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete